Marrying a non-Muslim girl

Q: I have done a civil marriage with a non Muslim girl who will convert to Islam, but has not yet converted due to some financial problem. I have tried to get the nikaah registered but they are asking +/- 10,000 for registering and certificate. Now I have one child. Kindly assist on how to get the nikaah properly and how can I correct my mistakes.

A: To get the nikaah done she must be a Muslim. Without her accepting Islam the civil marriage has no significance.

And Allah Ta'ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)