Fulfilling the rights of one's wife after a secret nikaah

Q: A grown-up man has the financial ability to maintain his wife and family and he is eager to marry. But his parents want him to marry later after being more established. Then the man married a grown-up lady without informing his parents. the man earns enough money to maintain his wife. But now he and his wife are living separately because of his parents. His wife is very sad for this condition. In this situation what should the man do? Should he continue living like that apart from his wife? If he wants to live with his wife maybe he will have to leave the house of his parents and live separate from them.

A: He should get a home near his parents so that he can show respect to them as well and not neglect the rights of his wife. Now that she is in his marriage he has a duty to her and he has to be respectful in fulfilling his duties to her and he should ensure that his parents are happy and comfortable.

And Allah Ta'ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)