Registering a property on someone else’s name

Q: My in laws fell into financial difficulty and registered their house on my name. I did not pay the monthly bond instalments. These were made by my sister in law. My mother in law has decided to give the house to my sister in law once the bond is paid and the debts are settled. What is the Shar’ee ruling in this regard? Can the property be gifted to her while it is in my name?

A: If you did not purchase the house from them nor did they gift it to you, then they will still remain the owners of the house. Their merely registering the house on your name, in order to avoid the bank repossessing it, does not make you the owner of the house.

And Allah Ta'ala (الله تعالى) knows best.

عن أبي حرة الرقاشي عن عمه أن النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم قال لا يحل مال امرئ مسلم إلا عن طيب نفس (سنن الدارقطني، الرقم: 2886)

أخبرنا مالك أخبرنا نافع عن ابن عمر أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم قال لا يحتلبن أحدكم ماشية امرئ بغير إذنه أيحب أحدكم أن تؤتى مشربته فتكسر خزانته فينتقل طعامه فإنما تخزن لهم ضروع مواشيهم أطعمتهم فلا يحلبن أحد ماشية امرئ بغير إذنه قال محمد وبهذا نأخذ لا ينبغي لرجل مر على ماشية رجل أن يحلب منها شيئا بغير أمر أهلها وكذلك إن مر على حائط له فيه نخل أو شجر فيه ثمر فلا يأخذن من ذلك شيئا ولا يأكله إلا بإذن أهله إلا أن يضطر إلى ذلك فيأكل ويشرب ويغرم ذلك لأهله وهو قول أبي حنيفة رحمه الله تعالى (موطأ الإمام محمد رحمه الله، الرقم: 872)

Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)