Q: I want to perform Hajj for the second time. Can I perform this Hajj as Hajj-e-badal for my father as he is not well since he has hypertensive, sugar and prostate problems. I have problem with a mahram. My 15 year old nephew will turn 16 soon. Can he go with me as a mahram?

A: If Hajj is not fardh on your father, but you wish to do a nafl hajj and convey the sawaab to him, it will be permissible. However, if Hajj is fardh on your father, and he is unable to do the fardh on account of his severe ill health, then it will be permissible for you to do the Hajj-e-badal for him on his behalf. If he recovers later on, then it will be compulsory upon him to carry out the Hajj himself and the Hajj-e-badal will not suffice. If your father is able to do the Hajj despite his ill health, it will not be permissible for you to do the Hajj-e-Badal on his behalf.


And Allah Ta'ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)