Returning the mahr in khula'

Q: My wife wants a divorce from me. I gave her 7 tola mahr and some gold. If my wife want divorce from me, will she have to give me back the mahr and gold? 

A: If you do khula with her on the mahr amount, then she will have to return the mahr amount to you. Upon you accepting the khula, your nikaah will be terminated.

And Allah Ta'ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)