Being unable to one's creditor

Q: 10 years ago there was a businessman whom we used to do business with. That guy became bankrupt and there were many people/businessman who this bankrupt guy owed money to. He ran away and till today no one knows his whereabouts. I owe an X amount to thus bankrupt guy. Can I give the X amount to someone who that guy owed money to so that I become free?

A: You cannot do this. Keep that amount aside with the intention that if he comes you will repay him. If after a lengthy period of time there is no trace of him then give that amount in sadaqah on his behalf.

And Allah Ta'ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)