Husband working abroad

Q: I live in another country due to work. I can afford to look after my family but due to my parents and other family members I am forced to stay abroad and work to save money. My wife is not happy living separate. If I bring my wife here, I'm afraid my parents will get angry on me. What should I do in this situation?

A: The purpose for the institution of nikaah in Islam is in order to enable the spouses to remain chaste throughout their lives and fulfil the responsibilities and obligations they owe to Allah Ta'ala, to one another and their children. Through remaining away for a long duration, one will not be able to fulfil one's responsibilities which one owes towards one's spouse and one's family. Hence, if your wife is unhappy, it is not permissible for you to remain away from her as you will not be fulfilling the marital rights and responsibilities which you owe her. Do not be concerned about your parents becoming upset with you. Rather be concerned about fulfilling the command of Allah Ta'ala.

And Allah Ta'ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)