Asking for a divorce from an abusive husband

Q: If a husband treats and abuses his wife, and does not give nafaqah to his wife and is disrespectful to her and her parents and family, and if he is on drugs, can her father have the right to make her leave the husband? Who must she listen to, her father or stay in her bad marriage?

A: If she cannot manage to remain in the nikaah, she should respectfully ask for a divorce.

And Allah Ta'ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)