Repenting after uttering words of kufr

Q: I uttered words of kufr and shirk. If I say the shahadah and ask Allah to forgive me, is that enough?

Also, if an apostate returns to Islam, is he equal to the Muslim who never committed kufr?

A: If no other person knows about your wrong then renewing your imaan is sufficient individually.

If he is very sincere in his renewing of imaan and begging Allah Ta`ala's forgiveness and correcting himself thereafter then it is possible that he will be the same as a normal Muslim.

And Allah Ta'ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)