Procedure for khula

Q: I want to take khula from my husband. What is the procedure?

A: Discuss the matter with your parents and do not take an independent decision. If your parents feel that there is no way to reconcile, then you may ask your husband to release you from the nikaah through khula.

Khula is where the wife requests the husband to release her from the nikaah by paying him a certain amount of wealth or the amount of her mahr . Thereafter, in response to her request, the husband says in the same gathering: "I let you go," or "I give you khula." In saying so, one talaaqul baa'in takes place. The man does not have the right to keep her back or to revoke his divorce.

And Allah Ta'ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)