Woman extorting money from husband after khula

Q: My (ex) wife asked for khula to whom I provided for 14 years as per my duties. I have never been abusive to her. I agreed to providing accommodation (3 bedroom house) and maintenance as asked of me under sharia until the youngest kid is 23 years old of my 2 kids.

My ex isn't happy with sharia solutions, avoids going to scholars and taking me to British court for my assets (£550k). She wants a permanent house in her name + extra money and putting me in much financial hardship.

What advice would you give to my wife? Would she be sinful for taking me to court after I have been sharia compliant? Would the money she gets from the court be halal for her?

Her parents are financially helping her with legal fees even though I have been sharia compliant, would they be sinful?

A: It is haraam for her to make these demands, and the money she is extorting is also haraam.

Obviously, one who supports and cooperates in a wrong is also sinful.

And Allah Ta'ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)