Woman in iddat moving out of a rented house

Q: Can a woman who is in iddat due to the passing away of her husband, move to the house of a family member if the house they were residing in was rented?

Also, is there a difference if he left anything behind as inheritance or not?

A: Yes, if she cannot afford the rental.

And Allah Ta'ala (الله تعالى) knows best.

(وتعتدان) أي معتدة طلاق وموت (في بيت وجبت فيه) ولا يخرجان منه (إلا أن تخرج أو يتهدم المنزل، أو تخاف) انهدامه أو (تلف مالها أو لا تجد كراء البيت) ونحو ذلك من الضرورات فتخرج لأقرب موضع إليه (الدر المختار 3/ 536)
قال العلامة ابن عابدين : (قوله: أو لا تجد كراء البيت) أفاد أنها لو قدرت عليه لزمها من مالها وترجع به المطلقة على الزوج إن كان بإذن الحاكم كما مر (رد المحتار 3/ 536)

Answered by:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)