Woman attending classes during iddat and where should she spend iddat?


1. If a talaaq is given, and the woman is a registered student at a tertiary institution, may she attend classes during her iddah?

2. Is the above the same as when a woman has a job and she has to work. Out of necessity during her iddah?

3. Where should the woman, still a student, live?


1. During the iddah period, it is not permissible for a woman to leave the home. Hence, it is not permissible for her to attend classes.

2. This is not the same.

3. If she is given a talaaq-e-rajee (revocable talaaq), it is permissible for her to live with her husband in the same home. If she is given a talaaq-e-baain (irrevocable talaaq), then since the nikaah has broken, she may spend her iddah in the same home, however she should not come close to him, preferably some screen should be between herself and her husband. If spending iddah is difficult in his home or there is fear of fights occurring or them falling into sin, then she may move and spend her iddah in her parent's home.

And Allah Ta'ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)