Writing a letter to the government stating that one is unmarried

Q: I am living abroad, when I came here I wrote in the papers that I am married in Pakistan and wrote my wife's name also. But now as I am living abroad, I also got married here as well. The trouble arises when I need to apply for citizenship for this country. The trouble is this I need to tell them that my previous marriage is no longer valid. In fact I don't want to break my first marriage. Can I write to them that I am no longer in the first marriage, or if I mention my first wife's name but wrong fathers name so that even though I am doing a bad thing lying but I want to save my first marriage. This foreign country just has her name in the records, no picture no other details.


A: Through doing this, your first nikaah will not break.

And Allah Ta'ala (الله تعالى) knows best.

الطلاق على ضربين صريح وكناية فالصريح قوله أنت طالق ومطلقة وطلقتك فهذا يقع به الطلاق الرجعي ... ولا يفتقر إلى النية (الهداية 2/359)

وأما الضرب الثاني وهو الكنايات لا يقع بها الطلاق إلا بالنية أو بدلالة الحاللأنها غير موضوعة للطلاق بل تحتمله وغيره فلا بد من التعيين أو دلالته (الهداية 2/373)

Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)