Is there purdah from husbands brother who is mentally deranged?

Q: I had a question regarding pardah. My mother lives with my dad's brother but my dads's brother has mental problems from a small age he is suffering from mental problems, in this case does my mom have to make purdah from him?


A: If he is mentally deranged and he does not understand what is lust (i.e. husband and wife relationship), then she does not have to make purdah from him. 

And Allah Ta'ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)