Receiving a refund of fees after one's child passes away

Q: My 30 year old daughter, after divorce allowed her children to live with their father and she continued with her education. I had paid a sum to her university for her fees. Allah willing, she died during the semester and the university refunded the money.

My question is: Shall I keep this money or regard this as her inheritance? 

A: If the fees are calculated on a month to month basis and they refunded the amount that was left for the months that were still left then the money will form part of the estate. And if they were entitled to keep the entire amount, but as a mere gesture of courtesy refunded the amount then it will belong to whoever they made the payment of the refund to.

And Allah Ta'ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)