Hajj e badal on behalf of a person who did not make wasiyyat

Q: I want to perform hajj e badal for my father who passed away with the intention of performing hajj. My sister wants to put her share in hajj e badal in the form of sharing the expenses of hajj. Is it ok if my sister pools money with me and I perform hajj e badal for our father?

A: Yes, it will be permissible. Since your father did not make a wasiyyat that hajj-e-badal be done from one third of his estate, the hajj which you will do will be a nafil hajj and will take place on your behalf. Thereafter, you should convey the reward of the nafil hajj to your father.

And Allah Ta'ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)