Giving money to a student to assist him in his studies for the missed fast and salaah of one's father

Q: Dad was ill in hospital and shortly after he got admitted he passed away. He did not give wasiyat for his missed fast and salaah, so I've taken it upon myself to fulfil some sort of kaffarah (fidyah) on his behalf, and insha'allah Allah will accept.

In terms of spending the kaffarah (fidyah), there is a young baligh male who is from a poor family and needs to sort out his final year of studies in order for him to get his degree/diploma in order to move forward with his life.

Is it possible for me to give him the money or a 3rd party who is currently financially responsible for his payments to pay off his final year of studies?

A: The money can be given to the young poor baaligh student to assist him in his studies. Similarly, the money can be given to a third person provided that the poor student appoints the third person to accept it on his behalf and to pay for his studies.

And Allah Ta'ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)