Husband providing separate living quarters for his wife

Q: Is it necessary for a wife to obey her husband's family or parents?

Is it permissible to ask for a separate home from one's husband?

Is it permissible for one's in laws to interfere in the life of a couple?

A: If staying with the in-laws is not manageable for the wife and is becoming the means of misunderstandings, then the wife should ask her husband to move out and rent some other place. If this is difficult for the husband, then he should provide his wife with a separate quarter or a separate apartment that is completely separate from the rest of the home, where she will be able to fulfil her essential needs with ease (e.g. private sleeping quarters, kitchen and lounge). 

And Allah Ta'ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)